"What's this, a virus?"
"Oh noes! My Identity!"
"Wait, how did this antivirus program get on my computer? I didn't install it, I use Norton/Mcafee/whatever!"
That's not an antivirus, that IS the virus. Yes, a virus that disguises itself as an antivirus. It is a clever idea, and it pays hackers big time by tricking you into buying their fraudulent software to get rid of non-existent viruses. It goes by many names - Antivir, Antimalware Doctor, Spyware Doctor, etc. - and generally leaves your computer useless and unable to access any part of the internet, except for the fake company website where it takes you to buy the "full version".
A friend of mine frantically called me yesterday asking for help because his computer received a virus similar to this. He has Mcafee installed on his computer, and it didn't stop this. This type of virus is super common and can appear on any windows computer without warning. I've helped family and friends with this virus so many times now I can almost start a business to remove it.
It's really easy to get rid of actually. Heres what you do:
- Check to see if you can still access the internet. If you can, great. If you can't, find another computer or try playing around with your internet options/preferences (usually disabling connecting through a proxy does the trick, since the virus sets up a proxy connection when it infects your computer).
- Download and save a program called rkill. Google it or download here. MAKE SURE YOU DOWNLOAD EVERY VERSION LISTED, AS SOME MAY NOT WORK WITH YOUR COMPUTER.
- Save all the rkill files somewhere accessible, such as on your desktop or on a flash drive if you are on a different computer.
- Download Malwarebytes Antimalware. Save it in the same place you saved rkill for convenience.
- Run rkill on the infected computer. Run every single one until you find one that works. You'll know when it does because the virus will stop giving you those annoying popups and you'll suddenly be able to use your computer again.
- Install Malwarebytes Antimalware on the infected computer.
- Update it, then run a full scan of every drive on your computer. When it's done let it restart your computer if it needs to and tell it to delete all threats it found.
Windows is shit, because it gets so many viruses. It is impossible to 100% protect your windows computer from viruses because there are so many and they are being created every day. If you want to avoid the problem of viruses all together, switch to linux. You'll never have another virus again.
Or if you choose to stay with windows, I'll give you the same advice I gave my friend: STOP DOWNLOADING PORN OFF THE INTERNET. Seriously, those sites are like the STD infested vaginas of high school dropout sluts. They spread disease to EVERYONE. If you stop doing that, your computer will be like a thousand times less likely to get a virus.
Oh, and wear a condom.